Tuesday, May 5, 2009

I am sorry I haven’t written anything in a while, I just haven‘t been able to get to a place where I could make a post. A lot of things have happened in the past few weeks, so let me tell you about our adventures on the open road. Last week was a hard reminder of the difficulties that come with being a truck driver. First off Momma and I finally got to Ohio and delivered our load of produce. Then once again we picked up another load and made our way back to Cali. Now here is the difficulty. Somewhere between California and Ohio I got sick. I felt like Momma had run me over with ole-blue thought she missed and then backed back over me. The bad part about all of this is that while out here chasing that long white line you really don’t have time to stop and see a doctor, and if you do safety wants you to get clearance from said Doctor that it is okay for you to back to work. So it’s more trouble than it’s worth.
Finally making it back to California, luck was not, once again, on our side. We had to drop the trailer that we picked up in Ohio and pick up another one. When we were almost to the shipper, another load of produce, the reefer unit decides to go caput. When I say almost to the shipper I am talking about 5 miles from them. UGH. SOOO we called the reefer hot line and wound up having to go all the way to Fresno CA, about 90 miles away to get it fixed. Needless to say our dispatcher, we’ll call him Mr. K, was not happy. But anyway, after having to spend hours waiting for the reefer unit to get fixed we were not able to pick up our load, which consisted of 3 Pick ups, till the next day. After all that was said and done we made our way to Virginia.
We made our delivery, early I must add, and then headed to SC for our next pick up. On the way there we stopped and tried to wash cloths and lo and behold the Gremlins struck again, this time with the washer I was trying to wash clothes in. Yes folks these things really do happen on the road. One nice thing that came from that stop was that we were able to see one of my family’s long time friends, more of an Aunt to me than anything else. After a nice dinner and beating of a washer we loaded up our wet, yes wet, clothes and continued to SC picked up our load and went to our company terminal in Spartanburg for a decent nights sleep. The next day Momma was able to see one of her family members and have some quality “girl time” which she needed. Me I stayed on the truck and vegged in front of the computer and got some sleep, sometimes we need time alone. Then once again we headed to, yep you guessed it California. Of course that trip was not uneventful, in fact quite the opposite. Momma and I passed through Talladega, Alabama the day after the race. Probably not the smartest routing that our company could have sent us. While we where on I-20, heading west in Alabama, we came up to the worst accident to date that I have seen. Four cars all got together in the middle of the interstate and in one of the cars the emergency workers had someone covered up with a white sheet. Yes I am sorry to say that some one had died in that accident. Seeing that accident makes you take notice of your life and realize that God can call you home at any time even on the way home from a race. Other than that the trip here to California was pretty uneventful, and we made it safely. Now we are chasing that long white line to Kentucky then to New York, upstate not City area praise God. Thank you for stopping by and seeing what is going on with Momma and I and I will see you down the road. God bless.
(For those looking for one of my political rants, I am sorry. Maybe next time or some time in the future)

No comments:

Post a Comment